Monday, January 02, 2017

Trying this ol' thing again

I used to blog a fair amount, say 10 years ago.  I even had another blog about my adventures in Thailand for a brief minute.  I look back and laugh at it now.  Mostly because I used to be funny.  You can read all of it in my archives there, and here.  It will probably scare those of you that didn't know me when.  This being said, I've at least for now decided to start it up again.  This time, with a purpose.  I'm sure I'll still be hilarious though, right?

A friend asked me a few days ago how she could support me and/or pray for me this year, and after thinking about it, I decided she could support me by asking me how I'm doing at being intentional.  I want to be intentional about doing new things, embracing change, loving people, serving people, creating, and trying to follow Jesus.  Lofty goals, and 2 days into 2017, I'm already failing.  #needsomegrace  I'll explain my shortcomings, but I also thought I'd share my sub-goals for this year.  Not resolutions, but some things I'd like to do under the umbrella of being intentional.

1. Read at least 3 books that I already own/have but have never read.  What kind of person owns books they've never read?  Me.
2. Co-write some songs.  Everything I've written in the last few years has been solo.  I'm grateful that I've built up a body of work, but I want to learn how to write with different voices.  Who wants to join me?!
3. Try or do something new every day.
4. Listen to and if possible, begin audio recording people's stories.  All kinds.
5. Have lunch/tea with someone fun at least once a month.
6.  Give something to someone(s) at least once a week.  Tangible items, time, service, money, whatever.
7.  Pray for others more than myself.

Ways I've succeeded in this?  Yesterday (Jan. 1st), I drank my first cup of Fruity Black Tea with Bergamot Oil from Kim.  It was really good and I look forward to having many more cups!  Today (Jan. 2nd), I wore my new LulaRoe leggings for the first time, listened to Fleetwood Mac's Rumours album while I worked out (the combination was new), ate some of a cheeseball my coworker Kara made, and I wrote this post.

Ways I've failed already?  Yesterday, Micah decided we'd drive home from OKC via Tulsa and up through Missouri (instead of through Kansas).  I should've embraced it as something "new."  I, however, had a bad attitude when driving through Joplin, Missouri and it took me a while to get out of my funk (Micah can attest to this).  Today?  Micah did some loads of laundry while I was at work.  Instead of being grateful, I got critical about some technicalities when everything was perfectly fine.  Not so intentionally loving, eh?  Being married is like holding up a mirror, y'all.

This is going to be an interesting year!  Join me!  What do you want to be intentional about?

No comments: