Tuesday, January 10, 2017

I Bought Myself Flowers feat. Salt 'N' Pepa (feat. En Vogue)

The other morning I looked down to see how many steps I had on my Fitbit, and I had 711.  When 711 doesn't make me think of the numerous 7-Elevens in Bangkok, it makes me think of Salt 'N' Pepa (feat. En Vogue)'s tune Whatta Man.  I'll let you recall the bit about 7-Eleven from the song.

Now.

I'll wait.

Start singing...

 "like 7-Eleven and yes it's me that he's always choosin', with him I'm never losin' and he knows that my name is not Susan."  That song.  You remember it.  No one's ever mistaken my name for Susan, though.  SHAYlin, Shuh-LINN, Shaylene, Shannon, and of course Shao-lin, but not Susan.  It's one thing not to know or remember how to pronounce my name, but Shannon?  I didn't just add extra sounds and letters into my name for fun.  Shannon's a perfectly fine name, but that's not what I said. Good times.

Anyhow, I mention that because I enjoyed brushing my teeth to that song that morning. Intentionally. I've done a bit better about this intentional thing since my last post, but of course it probably helps that there's been less laundry and road trips since then.  In an effort to try and do something new every day, it's been more about intentionally making every day different.  That's involved (among several other things), trying to plan out my continuing education for the year, creating a new Facebook group (for another work goal I have this year), getting new tires for my car (it appears as if this will be a snowy winter), and today?  buying myself flowers at Trader Joe's.  They make me smile.

One of the coolest things that's happened though is that I prayed for a person who I've been too critical about.  On the same day I prayed, I had several positive interactions with that person and my outlook softened.  Tangible answers.  Pretty cool.

Next week I get to start trying to write music with a friend, I've reiterated my book reading goal to a few other people (which means it's going to happen, right?), and I've gotten to give a coffee-loving friend a Starbucks gift card.  I've also just gotten things done.  A big part of that is my effort to not be on my phone once I've laid down in bed, and not to check my phone at all until after being awake for 30 minutes (and out of bed).  When I'm not preoccupied with emails and Facebook posts that can wait, I get the dishes done.  I floss my teeth.  I make Micah lunch for the day.  I stop worrying and mentally complaining about things as much.  I realize the world still goes on without me immediately knowing what happened during our nighttime hours.  Try it.  I recommend it.

How are you living with purpose/intention?  How can I encourage you?  Do I need to buy you flowers?  What is your favorite Salt 'N' Pepa or En Vogue song?  Who would you "feat." if you were in a band?  Did you notice my "feat." within a "feat." title?  All important questions.  Well, all questions.  You can answer them in a comment :)

No comments: